Tuesday, May 8, 2012

How can we build rapport immediately with Stakeholders and SMEs?



I have found that a good first impression is vital to building rapport and ongoing success with Stakeholders and SMEs. Therefore, I am always looking for interesting and effective ways to deliver a greeting that shows I can be trusted and that I care. Here are several strategies that I use when delivering a greeting.
In my Greetings I...
  • Begin building rapport immediately with an upbeat voice tone, focusing 100% of my attention on the client
  • Greet my clients socially before asking for the information they need. My goal is to sound just like an interested friend. I’ll be glad to help you with that! 
  • Then, depending on my relationship with the client and whether it’s an inbound or outbound call, I might say:
o   Once again, my name is Howard (repeat your name). What’s yours?
o   Or, It’s very good to speak with you again, Jane.


Here are several additional resources for you to explore.
  • Body language and the greeting
    • Key points -  body language can be formal or informal and is an important factor in the development of a friendship. Informality too early can be an insult; too late and it you may be considered arrogant or distant.
  • The importance of greeting your customer
    • Key points - Five steps to building rapport and trust
      1. immediate recognition
      2. make the greeting warm and sincere
      3. handshakes are optional
      4. avoid "how may I help you"
      5. understand them.



What are your thoughts? 
Do you have ideas on how to deliver an outstanding greeting?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Please add to the conversation...